FOR FULL DETAILS AND BOOKINGS FOLLOW THIS LINK
Following a successful year in 2019, Wolf Pack returns in 2020 for a new group of adventurous young men.
Wolf Pack is a year’s journey for a tribe of boys becoming men, aged 13-16 years. They take place during half terms and school holidays through the seasons, in local woodland and in some of England’s finest wild environments.
Risk, challenges and adventure in the warm company of strong role models and fellow adventurers are vitally important for young people, to discover their huge capabilities, what they might stand for, and to develop a deep-seated self-reliance. Security is important for boys but its layers must be carefully removed in order for the young men to emerge. Yet the availability and encouragement of such experiences may often be limited, or crowded out by digital influences. Wolf Pack exists to facilitate deep encounters, learning through experiences in the natural world at the edge of comfort and ability, where the magic happens.
The adventure begins in the woods, travels nomadically through Dartmoor and the Peak District and culminates with a final Fire Quest.
Skills learned include bushcraft and survival skills (in particular advanced firemaking, regardless of initial experience level), campcraft, navigation, foraging, nature awareness – but the beauty of an expedition is that it tends to offer up exactly the lesson a person needs at the time… but often does not expect.
We invite you to come and discover the vast resources already inside you, learn new skills, make new friends, discover new possibilities and perhaps take an important step or two in the journey of manhood.
THE JOURNEYS (14 days in total):
April 17-19 – The Woods, Sussex: Establish the tribe, bushcraft, firecraft, expedition skills including navigation, night games
May 29-31 – The Moor, Devon: An expedition into wild Dartmoor, travelling and sleeping light, putting our skills to work
July 30-1 Aug – The Hills, Peak District: A more challenging itinerary, stepping it up a bit after Dartmoor
Sep 12-13 – Survival night, Sussex: an overnighter, making and sleeping in a survival shelter, but not before having a big rowdy fireside feast
Oct 30-1 Nov – The Forest, Sussex: Culmination event including a Fire Quest
– £1,050 (equivalent to £80 per day) if paid up front
– £1,100 if paid in 4 fixed stages (£400 deposit on booking, £250 at end of March three weeks before first event, £225 at end of April following first event, and £225 at end of May before second event)
– FUNDED PLACES: If this programme appeals to you, but feels out of reach financially, then please do not turn away. I have a patron, the Spayne Lindsay Foundation, who supports my work, and we can have a conversation about how we might be able to help. Get in touch with me and we can talk about it
– Whats included: food (25 hearty meals!), accommodation, tuition, activities, materials, group equipment
– Not included: Personal kit and travel. For the Devon and Peak District events, an efficient option is to hire a minibus and drive the whole group. I would expect this to cost £40 per person on each occasion
OTHER IMPORTANT INFO
– In order to be able to offer a programme like this, I require the full commitment of the participating young men (and their families). In a bonded group like Wolf Pack, an amount of synergy is lost by an individual missing one trip, and the whole group is affected, not just the absentee; each member carries a responsibility for the wider group. Participants will be able to meet or speak with Chris before committing, in order to be fully informed to make the decision.
– A degree of physical fitness is required, and a mindset to take on the various challenges. Sometimes we will be carrying our equipment on consecutive days, often over rough terrain. By design, there is some struggle
– Similarly, this programme requires a degree of social / emotional skill, and an agreed willingness to engage in such challenges, as they come hand in hand with the physical endeavour
This course is the little brother to Chris Packe’s Odyssey programme for 16-19 year olds, details of which will be available shortly.
This Wolf Pack has grown out of a long-running programme by WildWise in Devon; Chris is also a WildWise instructor and ran the Wolf Pack in Devon from 2016-19.
“This was an extraordinary program. My son loved the whole experience. To be honest I wasn’t sure if he would because he isn’t usually very ‘outdoorsy’ – but he relished every single part of it! He loved the camaraderie of the boys, talking and engaging with the leaders, and building skills in the outdoors. He had many long talks with everyone and really felt stimulated and supported by the activities. He particularly loved the feeling of responsibility for himself, his kit and being part of a group – as well as the long walks and talks over the fire. As parents we loved seeing him grow and flourish in an area of life that we didn’t previously think he would love so much (camping and wilderness activities) A profound and incredible experience. Chris and his team are fantastic, very helpful and supportive and the ideal men to bring new ideas to our emerging young men. 100% recommended.” Diana, Wolf Pack 2019
“From the first trip onwards, there was a noticeable difference in [my son], he developed a quiet confidence which I had not really seen before. He has become more capable and has a newfound belief in himself, happy to just get on with things, whereas in the past, his fear/uncertainty of change or something new often meant he would not try in the first place, or only very reluctantly with much accompanying fuss about it. Being introduced to the concept of ‘type 2 fun’ was mind-altering for [my son] and the trips have given him a well-deserved sense of achievement. I have already recommended the programme to several friends.” Lisa, Wolf Pack 2019
“It has positively affected his self-esteem; hes faced some challenges and become acquainted with his internal fire. When we picked him up he was literally radiant… I can still see that change in him… He already has a calmer, more centred and purposeful air about him… Chris has inspired [my son] and made a deep impression on him… The programme was pitched perfectly.” Sarah, Wildwise Wolf Pack 2018
“The course has taught him new learning points in his self both in terms of his own body image and in terms of learning what he is physically capable of. He has flourished as a young man under the wing of Chris. Feeling that he could share his innermost thoughts with the leaders and safely within the group is a new experience.” Shelley, Wildwise Wolf Pack 2018
“The exceptional holding and challenge created by Chris and the team will get your son through stronger and more balanced… The exceptionally high skill base and depth of experience was breathtaking and highly valuable to both me and [my son].” Cat, Wildwise Wolf Pack 2018
“The whole experience has been brilliant. [My son] has certainly been challenged and faced his fears. Hes learned skills, had adventures and been wonderfully supported through the whole thing. Hes grown in many ways… This is one of the few opportunities for boys to experience real challenge and adventure.” Janet, Wildwise Wolf Pack 2018
“A challenging and uplifting journey into the natural world that triggers significant inner growth in a young person, resulting in a noticeable step up in self-awareness, self-confidence and a tremendous feeling of well-being after each event. I am hugely grateful for the mentoring and support my son received during these events, a special rapport that encouraged the best from the boys. They all have some very special experiences and memories to carry with them.” Tania, Wildwise Wolf Pack 2017